Senior Rock Engineer required immediately: APPLY NOW
Job Advert Summary
PURPOSE: • Accountable for Rock Engineering function at a mining complex consisting of multiple operations (large mine/complex). MAJOR CHALLENGES: • To promote legal compliance to Mine Health and Safety Act with regards to Rock Engineering aspects in an uncertain statutory environment.
QUALIFICATIONS: • BEng Civil Engineering (Essential/Minimum or) • BEng Mining Engineering (Essential/Minimum or) • BSc (Hons) Geology (Essential/Minimum or) • BSc (Hons) Engineering Geology (Essential/Minimum) • Management Development Programme (Essential/Minimum) EXPERIENCE: 8 years Relevant operational mining Geotechnical experience Importance: Essential/Minimum Involvement: Operational REQUIREMENTS: • Psychometric Assessment (Essential/Minimum) • Certificate of Fitness (Essential/Minimum) • CoM Certificate in Rock Mechanics (Essential/Minimum) • Engineering Council of SA (PrEng) (Essential/Minimum or) • SA Council for Natural Scientific Prof (Essential/Minimum and) • SA National Institute of Rock Eng (Essential/Minimum) • MHSA 14.1.8 – Non-Mandatory (Essential/Minimum)
Duties & Responsibilities:
The incumbent will inter alia be responsible for the following: Business Performance and Operations • Confirm that sufficient and appropriate geotechnical data is collected, captured and validated to facilitate geotechnical designs that conform to international best practices • Data interpretation and database management • Maintain the Rock Engineering and geotechnical data base and documents • Supervise day-to-day operational aspects of project/scope • Participate in planning, mine excavation and support design function, ground stability monitoring system design and execution • Conduct Rock Engineering related special investigations and submit findings to relevant stakeholders Compliance, Governance and Assurance • Implement controls to ensure compliance to statutory and legal requirements within designated area
• Adhere to Group and functional policies, procedures, standards • Contribute towards a culture of discipline • Accountable to implement sound Rock Engineering standards • Confirm that all relevant mandatory Codes of Practice (COP) are in place and in compliance with guidelines issued by the Department of Mineral Resources • Draft standards and specifications to which geotechnical related external suppliers must comply • Develop, implement and maintain an effective quality assurance process that will ensure that the ground support elements and systems used on the operation provides the required performance characteristics for the loading conditions expected
• Conduct regular assurance reviews on mine excavation and ground support execution/performance; report on abnormal ground conditions and deviation from design; and recommend remedial action • Review, identify and make recommendations to the relevant stakeholders with regard to systems, procedures and techniques to reduce or eliminate geotechnical related hazards Effective People Management • Oversee activities of relevant support staff and strive toward achieving operational targets • Promote teamwork, provide support and manage performance by creating and maintaining individual development plans of subordinates • Secure staff’s motivation by empowering them and leading them by sound performance management and transformational leadership practices • Manage and develop junior staff aligned with Group strategy for rock engineering talent management and retention Functional Excellence • Guarantee quality of service for delivery of Rock Engineering support services consistent with operational and legal requirements
• Identify and investigate problems, lead development of solutions toward optimising applicable processes/systems • Support functional excellence initiatives • Contribute to Rock Engineering functional/cross-functional alignment with other Geoscientific and Mineral Resources Management (MRM) disciplines • Contribute to effective reporting to ensure safety and operational excellence • Provide expert technical support/direction to stakeholders Functional Management • Support implementation of company, operational and functional strategy • Maintain and strive to high performance standards • Contribute to a culture of continuous improvement and change agility in function • Communicate and engage cross-functionally with peers striving for excellence • Develop and implement functional strategy in line with operational strategy
• Determine, motivate and manage operational and capital budgets to ensure optimal performance of functional department • Manage specialist geotechnical contractors and consultants Safe and Healthy Work Environment • Adhere to all health and safety practices and promote good housekeeping on an ongoing basis • Address all unsafe practices and potential hazardous situations, rectify and report to superior • Comply with Safety Health Environment and Community (SHEC)/technical requirements • Comply to safety pre-cautionary measures • Maintain and ensure a healthy environment, safe operations and practices • Encourage a culture that focuses on safety in all operations Technical Support • Compile professional technical reports to relevant stakeholders • Coordinate the drafting, revision and implementation of all ground control related COPs, procedures and standards • Design and optimise mine excavations, extraction sequences, mechanically placed mine residue deposits/backfill systems and ground support systems according to relevant standards • Provide inputs during the mine design, planning and operation as well as on-mine projects to ensure overall mine stability and optimum reserve utilization • Design and implement systems and processes to monitor ground deformation behaviour and support performance; analyse results and recommend appropriate actions
• Develop and maintain the content of ground control training syllabus and assist training personnel with strata control-related training for different levels of mine staff • Drive and implement improvement projects and opportunities to enable the development of solutions toward optimising applicable processes and systems • Conduct technical evaluations of relevant projects in various developmental stages by applying appropriate evaluation methods and project management principles • Investigate fall of ground related accidents and analyse trends • Analyse root causes of fall of ground related accidents and incidents to certify appropriate ground control strategies • Provide guidance to mine management regarding the interpretation of Rock Engineering related issues • Stay abreast of Rock Engineering/geotechnical related technologies, developments and best practice Behavioural Alignment Demonstrates the following:
• Creativity, collaboration, sociable and awareness to the ecosystem • Stewardship, accountability, ability to develop trust, safety conscious and ethical • Ability to respond quickly to business needs/agility, flexibility, continuous learning, innovation and proven ability to experiment on creative business solutions • Ability to be inclusive, eagerness for multiple skills, embraces multiple cultures, accepts different approaches and be human-centric/empathetic • Results oriented, quality driven, excellence, entrepreneurial abilities, efficient and effective The appointment will be made in accordance with Exxaro’s Employment Equity policy. If you have not been contacted within 28 days of the closing date of this advertisement, please accept that your application was unsuccessful.